no race at all! My knee is not doing very well. I guess my adaption theory is out the window on this one. I was able to get through WR50M and it really wasn't at the forefront during the race. When I got home I was sidelined for 4 days by those nasty blisters which you would think would be good news for my knee. When I started back running it was like someone was stabbing me in the knee on the inner portion of my patella tendon. Along with the pain came a lack of mobility. My leg simply would not run. It's almost like the area between the quads and calf are not working together and the knee is just left dangling. I limped for a good 7 miles then called it good. My knee cap is riding high and the tracking process is hampered. I guess that's the cause of the sudden sharp pain....when the kneecap tracking gets out of alignment. Here's what I have been doing:
1. Massage - My quads are hammered at the insertion to my knee, especially the medial.
2. Deep tissue release - From Dr. Tollenaar which helps a lot in getting the kneecap back in it's spot.
3. Icing like a freak! 20 minutes on and 2 hours off. The knee is just not that swollen but is a bit.
4. VMO stimulation: Sitting with my back against a wall, legs straight out in front, aggressive flex of the quads, hold for 5 seconds, off for 10 seconds, repeat 10 times twice a day.
5. Rubbing some magic ointment on it waiting for the majic to HAPPEN!!
6. Pouting but hiding it well....at least I think so.
So..........Is my race in jeopardy??? Most definitely! If I can run at all I will go and do it, most likely slow but I am on board. As it stands today, I can't run. The pain is not an ache that Advil will mute. It's has more to do with the lack of function once it gets zinged...the mobility of my leg is very compromised. I am open to suggestions folks! I am bummed and sad about the race but am not giving up yet. I am not one of those people who can turn a frown upside down so I am not even going to try and fake myself out....it won't work. Let's say I heal up or get over my unknown problem and can run the race. It will be the longest taper EVER! What happens to someone who goes to run a 100 miles when the last long run they have done was a month prior? Well, I guess I will get a new experience if that it the case. We are leaving for vacation in UTAH on Saturday and will be gone through the race so I will be there no matter what....running or helping my friends run it. I have a long run planned on Sunday with some folks from Utah and that will be the final test before I decide.
What will I do if I can't run???? Well, I have a plan B. It doesn't involve my bike because that is not helping my knee right now and I can't really do any biking unless it's on a flat surface that requires no straining. I'll fill you in on Plan B if I need to go there but I will stay focused on the task at hand.