Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Peterson Ridge Rumble!

Peterson Ridge Rumble did not disappoint. In pure ultra runner style Sean puts on a fabulous race filled with lots of happy people on some great trails. I had a great weekend in Sisters. The whole family took part in the dry sport filled adventure. There were many highlights but these are best of the weekend.


Packing: Fitting 4 sports and 4 adult sized people in one car is an event all its own. Skiing, snowboarding, running and mountain biking requires a lot gear! We got it all in and it was some Bill's best work. The man can pack!

Mountain Biking: We rode the course on Saturday. I cut off early while Micheal and Drake continued on the final loop of the 40 mile course. I didn't think there were any rocks on the course but for some reason things are just different when you're on bike. I can't wait for the day I can get on that thing and own it. I am still incredibly nervous. Rocks are not fun to fall on! I toppled a couple of times and on my first fall the end of my seat jammed itself into my glute. It hurt bad and stung for a good long time. Somehow I ended up with 2 nice bruises on my right quad. I had to carry my bike up and over the rocky hill. Once off I couldn't bring myself to remount. That just leaves me so frustrated! The highlight was being warm! It was awesome. We had to shed layers right away. That has to be a first! Also, my bike was not full of mud! That made me want to ride more.

Visiting: I loved seeing all the great ultra runners. I so much enjoyed getting caught up with so many as they pulled into the Best Western in Sisters. Smiles, hugs and good stories.

Dry: Seems simple but not running in wet weather was really refreshing and I actually got a bit of sun on my cheeks. My shoes didn’t have dirt clods inside and my hands weren't blue. That was just the icing on the cake of a spectacular day.

Alex: He spent the day volunteering. Handing out socks and pigs ears seemed to keep him busy and entertained. He told us endless dog stories. He's a true animal lover. However, he must have been told at least 4 times, "Last time I saw you your mom was pushing you around in a stroller" or "How on earth did you come out of her". Poor kid. All he cared about was if I dressed him appropriately in that stroller. When we told him he would only wear a diaper he was horrified! Of course we were kidding. Then in true teenage fashion he says, "You guys are old because I was under 2 years old". Thanks Alex!

The Run: I had a great run. Went out easy fearing the worst and picked up the pace section by section. I felt incredibly strong. For the first time this year I felt like a runner. My mile pace for the 40 was a few seconds slower than last years. I was really pleased because I was gearing up for Bighorn 100M then. The best part of the run was catching up to Bill who was running the 20M. I got to run about 3 miles with him before I had to take the split. We had a ball putting on our own concert. Cueing up the Black Eyed Peas, Just Can't Get Enough. I do Fergie and he does Will I Am and the other guy. I sing in my perfected Fergie voice, "Boy I think about it every night and day, I'm addicted wanna jump inside your love, I wouldn't have it any other way, I'm addicted and I just can't get enough. Then he sings, "I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough, Girl we could form a team and I could be the king you could be the queen and my mind's dirty and don't need cleanin I love you long time so you know the meanin." We've got this song down. It was a blast but Bill really needs to work on his rap. Alex wants to hide when we get our Black Eyed Peas on but he can't help by try to improve his dads beat. Then we came to the split where Bill heads for his finish and I split off to do the last loops. He says, "This Is Mega

Switch Up, go get em honey! Our concert was over but that got me fired up to work hard for the final 15.

Recovery: If my recovery from the Gorge 50K was rated I would give it a 2. I was beat up and wiped. I rate my Peterson Ridge Recovery a 9. I feel great and only a bit sore in the hamstrings. Mountain biking makes my hamstring sing so the Saturday ride made them ripe for the run.

Just a great time. Coming home filled up and energized. Sean has created a sock monster in Alex. He loves his Peterson Ridge socks. His size 15 feet fit perfectly in those socks. I told him I cannot wash socks alone and he can't wear them everyday unwashed ;)

2 comments:

  1. At least somebody had a great run! I am going to claim that it is because you are the size of a 10 yo, and it's much easier to carry yourself over ground:) Thanks for a cutest skirt! As for singing - my whole family wants to run away when I start, so at least you have Bill on your side...and tell Alex to stop growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that race. Need to do it again someday. Sounds like you guys had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete